TREASURING THE PAST• Winter 2002
Chemical Properties

Washington University has a longstanding commitment to the study of chemistry. This photo shows the Chemistry Annex (at left) that opened in 1858 on the downtown campus. Moving onto the Hilltop Campus in 1905, the Department of Chemistry settled in Busch Hall. By the mid-1940s, the facilities of Busch Hall were not adequate to support newer research in atomic sciences, and the chemistry department moved to Louderman Hall. (Chancellor Arthur Holly Compton had arrived at the University in 1945 and developed one of the finest chemistry departments in the country when he recruited several scientists from the Chemical Division of Los Alamos National Laboratory.) In 1969, the McMillen Laboratory was added, and in fall 2002, the new Arts & Sciences Laboratory Science Building became chemistry's home.