TREASURING THE PAST— Summer 2004
   

 

Within Francis Gate

To commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the 1904 Olympic Games, the University rededicated Francis Field—one of the venues used for the Games—on June 16, 2004. The next day, June 17, the Olympic Torch relays passed through St. Louis, one of four U.S. cities to host the global torch run, and by Francis Field. The University originally commemorated hosting the first Olympics in the Western Hemisphere after the World's Fair by building an ornamental wrought-iron gate on the east end of Francis Field. The gate is depicted at right in a linoleum print on paper, made by American artist Gustav Goetsch (1877-1969) during the 1930s. An instructor at the School of Fine Arts and the School of Architecture for 36 years, Goetsch was admired for his delicate and openly academic approach to craftmanship. Francis Field and Francis Gymnasium, another venue used during the 1904 Games, are named for alumnus David Rowland Francis (see "Alum Helps Shape City, Fair, and Campus" sidebar in "A Glorious World's Fair Transforms a University Campus" feature).