TREASURING THE PAST• Summer 2002

Geological Wonders

Students conducted research at the Polytechnic School on the old downtown campus in the late 1800s. Dating back to that time, the University has an extensive geology and fossil collection. William B. Potter, former professor of mining and metallurgy, who established that department in 1872, donated samples and attracted other valuable collections to WU. Also, his students acquired samples on field trips. In 1875, by an act of the state legislature, the State Geological Survey left its mineral collection when it moved to the University of Missouri at Rolla. The entire collection today is housed in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences in Arts & Sciences.