|TREASURING THE PAST Spring 2003|
Eyes on the Sky
The Washington University Observatory originally opened on the Downtown Campus in 1878 at 18th and St. Charles streets. Although the building was modest, it was a hub of scientific activity and served as a source of standard time for the region. The observatory's six-inch telescope, situated now atop Crow Hall on the Hilltop Campus, is the oldest instrument still in use at the Department of Physics in Arts & Sciences.