FEATURE — Fall 2003
   

 
The Brookings Quadrangle framed by the January Hall arch. In many ways, the Quadrangle serves as the heart of the Hilltop Campus.

 

 

 

Washington University at 150

 

Photographs by David Kilper

Over the past two years, University photographer David Kilper has been creating a visual documentary of the University's campuses as they appear 150 years after the school's founding in 1853. His work will appear in the new history book, Beginning a Great Work: Washington University in St. Louis, 1853-2003, by Candace O'Connor, which will be available in the winter.

This visual record encompasses buildings beginning on the Hilltop Campus in 1900 and on the new Medical Campus beginning in 1910. The images capture the transformation of the campuses that has taken place over the past eight years under Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton's watch—an investment of more than $1.5 billion in new construction, renovation, and infrastructure. The result has been beautiful new spaces for teaching and learning, on-campus living, research, and patient care.

The quotes from previous University chancellors that open the book show how the leaders and their visions for what the University could become have helped shape it into what it is today. William Greenleaf Eliot, co-founder and third chancellor, envisioned building a university as "a great work."

 

Joseph Gibson Hoyt
1st Chancellor • 18581862

St. Louis, the geographical centre, not only of this valley, but of the whole country, will be, to a fearful extent, responsible for the intellectual and moral character which shall be impressed upon the American people. It was in view of considerations like these, that a few far-sighted and large-hearted men...laid the foundation of Washington University."
Inaugural address, October 4, 1859

 

Center for Advanced Medicine. Completed in 2001 to bring together outpatient services previously scattered across the Medical Center, the Center for Advanced Medicine houses the National Cancer Institute-designated Siteman Cancer Center.
Grotesques. The many bosses and grotesques that adorn the buildings are a prominent architectural feature on the Hilltop Campus.

 

Laboratory Science Building for Arts & Sciences. The 129,500-square-foot building on the north side of the Hilltop Campus, completed in 2002, includes classrooms, a 350-seat lecture hall, and laboratories—particularly for the chemical sciences.

 

Duncker Hall towers. Completed in 1924 to house the School of Commerce and Finance and named for Charles H. Duncker, Jr., who was killed in World War I, Duncker Hall today houses the English department in Arts & Sciences.
Givens Hall. A gift from Joseph Givens in 1930 made possible the completion of Givens Hall in 1932 to house the School of Architecture.

 

Winfield Scott Chaplin
4th Chancellor 18911907

"I have a vision of a great university. Its structures are grand its surroundings are beautiful. The public esteem it, because its high aims, its great utility, its magnificent results are known. To support it is considered a duty, to aid in its development a pleasure, and to have one's name connected with it an honor."

Inaugural Adress, January 11, 1892

 

East Asian Library. The library in January Hall was initially the library and reading room for the School of Law.

 

William Greenleaf Eliot
3rd Chancellor 18701887

"In the beginning of every enterprise we should know, as distinctly as possible, what we propose to do, and the means of doing it. ...We should also make up our minds...whether it is, upon the whole, worth the doing, and if so, whether it is our part to do it. ...The enterprise which we now contemplate is one of this sort. It is not only the beginning of a great work, capable of indefinite extension, but each step in its progress and the first step in its commencement involve the sacrifice both of time and money."

Address to the board of Washington Institute, Februrary 22, 1854

 

Simon Hall. Completed in 1986 for the Olin School of Business, the 100,000-plus-square-foot structure was the largest building on the Hilltop Campus at the time.

 

Graham Chapel. A gift from Christine Blair Graham, widow of paper distributor Benjamin Brown Graham, made possible the construction of Graham Chapel in 1909.

 

Ethan A.H. Shepley
10th Chancellor 1953–1961

"The University that Eliot founded and Brookings so notably developed is moving forward today in the ennobling cause of truth. It is only through truth that man can build with strength. As the University motto has it, 'Per veritatem vis.'" —Address to Newcomen Society, October 14, 1958

 

Francis Field Gate. In 1904, Francis Field served as the venue for the Olympic games—the third of the modern era and the first held in the Western Hemisphere.
Anheuser-Busch Hall. Completed in 1997, Anheuser-Busch Hall serves as a state-of-the-art home for the School of Law

To order copies of the new history book by Candace O'Connor, Beginning a Great Work: Washington University in St. Louis, 1853-2003, visit 150.wustl.edu. The book will be available early next year.

 

 

.